No Chaos No Order

April 12, 2013

Baby proofing

Filed under: heart, home — fairyguts @ 5:28 pm

Since his birthday, Robin has been scooting everywhere and we were frantically baby-proofing the house. One thing that needed special attention (and isn’t really quite done), was the Wii.

The internet cord and flashing light was irresistible to Robin. Oh, and it was on the floor. (Darn, no before. Again.)  While the TV was on a sewing cabinet without the sewing machine in it, there wasn’t much room for the Wii without getting in the way of the tv. And, it would still be visible with lots of other plugs and cords around.

So I took the sewing cabinet apart and added a bottom to create a shelf.  I still need to figure out how to put the one side back on so it’ll open and close, but that will be for another day.

Removing screws from the side with the handle that didn’t really open anything:

2013-04-12 12.31.31

Side removed – that was easy! :

2013-04-12 12.31.52

“Shelf” put in. I used peg board so there would be good ventilation in the cabinet.  I did not count on the ‘front’s’ decorative edging to leave the shelf visible. Bleck.  On the other hand, now I didn’t have to worry about drilling holes for electrical wires to come out of!  Also, helper babies don’t really help. They chew.

2013-04-12 15.05.06

So, I screwed the ‘front’ back on and installed the shelf. It is just resting on the edges of the legs. I may go back and add some strips of wood to the sides and across the middle.

2013-04-12 15.44.342013-04-12 15.49.18

I took the handle off the old front and made it the ‘back.’ Except, now I’m not sure how to attach the new front because the legs gain stability by being screwed to it. I may need to cut some holes after all.

2013-04-12 15.50.59

Regardless – it works well holding all the plugs and wires and Wii and Robin has shown no interest in what’s inside!   … for now!

DSC05064

Advertisements

1 Comment »

  1. […] some consulting with my father, I decided to finish my sewing-cupboard-hack by cutting a curved piece out of the new front of the cupboard and reattaching it with hinges.  I […]

    Pingback by Done with the baby-proofed-cupboard! | No Chaos No Order — May 26, 2013 @ 5:53 pm


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: